Eighth Annual The Closer Transactional Law Competition Set to Challenge Nation’s Top Transactional Law Students
Student competitors representing fourteen of the best transactional law programs in the country have been selected for Baylor Law’s eighth annual The Closer Transactional Law Competition. Set for January 2024, this high-stakes invitational, originated by Professor of Law Beth Miller, offers an elite contest culminating with the awarding of $10,000 in cash prizes and bragging rights as the top Closers for 2024.
Consistent with the unique format of the competition, the complex business transaction to be negotiated by the students will not be revealed until competitors arrive in Waco, a mere 24 hours before the opening rounds. The competition, scheduled for MLK Weekend in 2024, will challenge students in four rigorous preliminary negotiation rounds. The top four competitors will advance to the final rounds on Sunday, January 14.
The tight timeline underscores Baylor Law’s commitment to cultivating practice-ready lawyers. Competitors are tasked with swiftly identifying critical legal issues and crafting practical solutions that align with their client’s objectives—emulating the efficiency required of lawyers in real-world scenarios.
In addition to the competition’s high-pressure environment, The Closer also offers participants the unique opportunity to refine their skills and receive valuable feedback from accomplished practicing lawyers throughout the event.
With each law school limited to one student entrant, invitations are extended to those law schools that have excelled in prior transactional law competitions or otherwise distinguished themselves in transactional legal training.
The fourteen schools and students participating in the 2024 The Closer are:
- Brigham Young University J. Reuben Clark Law School – Jenner Berryhill
- Charleston School of Law – Matthew Decker
- Emory University School of Law – Morgan Lawson
- Indiana University Maurer School of Law – Hussain Habib
- Ohio State University Moritz College of Law – Alexandra Goss
- Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law – Ryan Shellooe
- University of Denver Sturm College of Law – John Siragusa
- University of Houston Law Center – Christopher Cabrera
- University of Kansas School of Law – Abbey Brower
- University of Mississippi School of Law - Hayden Park
- University of Missouri - Kansas City Law School – Matthew Rhoads
- University of Oregon School of Law – Clark Barlowe
- University of San Diego School of Law – Samantha Casey
- University of Tennessee College of Law - Kevin Escalona
As the eighth iteration of The Closer competition approaches, anticipation builds for another showcase of the finest transactional law talent from top law schools nationwide.
The Closer is generously underwritten by the Kim and Bill Shaddock Fund for Business and Entrepreneurial Initiatives at Baylor Law. As the host, Baylor Law students are not eligible to participate.