Partners for Your Future
We are in the midst of a significant capital project involving renovating and/or re-purposing several areas of the law center with updates to better support our students. The enhancements include a centrally located student success suite, active learning spaces, and moving the IT help desk for more accessible support.
With a project of this nature, we know that there will be noise, dust, and other inconveniences requiring patience on the part of us all.
To help alleviate challenges with your studies, please bookmark this page to stay updated on renovations and the possible impact on classes and study spaces.
Upcoming Construction Notices
Week of February 26, 2024
- The construction team will finish work on the Jaworski Office and Rare Book Room on the first floor of the Law Library.
Week of March 2, 2024
- During Spring Break, painting will occur in the second-floor classroom corridor and classrooms. In addition, the second-floor courtrooms will be recarpeted.
- The Jaworski Suite and Rare Book items will also move from the second floor of the law library to their new rooms on the first floor this week as well.
February 5 - 14, 2024
- Preparations to make room for the Student Success Center continue. Students may continue to reserve second-floor study rooms through February 14.
Students have access to the following study areas:
- Reading rooms on the first and second floors of the Law Library.
- Study carrels throughout the Law Library.
- Baylor Law classrooms when not reserved for a class, student organization meeting, or other event. You can access the Law School Event Calendar while on campus at https://law.baylor.edu/calendars-events/law-school-event-calendars. Click on the “Baylor Law’s Ad Astra Calendar” link and select the “Law School Calendar” from the “Choose Calendar” drop-down menu.
- Baylor University Libraries and the Graduate Research Center.
- The construction team will begin painting corridors and stairwells on the first and third floors.
Week of January 29, 2024
- Alumni Relations will have an office in the Writing Center. Jordan will be in room 308A (Dean Cordon’s previous office). Barbara and Julie will be in room 302A.
- Temporarily, the Career Development Office will be located on the third floor, between the Faculty Offices and the library (up the third-floor stairs and to the right).
Follow the donut to find them:
Week of January 15, 2024
- Removal of the Second Floor Library Stacks has started. Study carrels in that area are available for use.
Week of January 8, 2024
- The construction team must shut off the heat in the Sheila & Walter Umphrey Law Center on the morning of Monday, January 8. The building will likely be uncomfortably cold. Morning classes will meet online. In-person classes will resume at noon, and the Law Library will open at noon.
- Rogers O’Brien will paint and recarpet the Dean’s Suite. Staff will work remotely or from the Dean’s Conference Room through January 12.
Week of January 1, 2024
- The Admissions and Financial Aid Office will move to the first floor for increased prospective and current student accessibility.
Week of December 18, 2023
- Rogers O’Brien plans to install carpet in all first-floor classrooms and paint all first-floor classrooms except Room 127 during the break. Access to the first-floor classroom wing and the student lounge will be limited during the break.
Week of December 11, 2023
- On December 12, the water will turn off from 8:0nesday, December 13, at 2:00 am. Bathrooms, kitchens, and water fountains throughout the building will not be operational during this time.
- The Legal Clinics Staff will work remotely as the Legal Clinics Suite is painted and recarpeted.
Week of October 9, 2023
- On October 9, water was turned off at 10:45 am. for approximately 30 minutes. The bathrooms, kitchens, and water fountains will not be operational during this time.
Week of October 2, 2023
- Work on the Student Success Center begins by moving the Wilson Rare Book Room and Jaworski Office to the first floor.
- This phase of construction will also impact the first-floor study areas. While you can access the first-floor Reading Room during this phase, we encourage you to study on the second or third floors of the library. You may also use other Baylor University Libraries, the Graduate Research Center, and Baylor Law classrooms when not reserved for a class, student organization meeting, or other event.
Week of August 28, 2023
- Please watch your step outside the café as a thick cord will run from outside the café to the construction area on September 1.
Week of July 31, 2023
- After much planning, the renovation project begins at the Sheila & Walter Umphrey Law Center.
- Phase One begins with constructing the Admissions and Financial Aid Office on the first floor and additional offices on the third floor.